Skip to main content

Interlude...

It's a slow news day.

Ed Shultz is complaining about a congressman's excessive golf, and Limbaugh seems preoccupied with the same 3 talking points that were old two years ago. Seems political talk on both sides is taking the day off. So I'm using the space to just shed light on what I'm doing here.

As I hope my readers understand, a lot of what I do with this blog is to create honest dialogue between voters regardless of where you might sit on that left/right line. I want people to stop defending their political party and start thinking about the issues that face them and the people who claim to represent them in making decisions to face them.

I tend to vote Democrat. But even if I agree with the Democratic platform, I am more than just a party member. My life is more complex than that. There are things about my world view that don't align with social idealism or worker politics that often permeate the Democratic agenda. It is unfair to me and my family to just vote Democrat because there's a donkey sticker next to one guy and an elephant next to his opponent.

More importantly, even if I agree with everything my party is doing, the person who has decided to represent that party may not be someone I can trust or may have a method of representing my party that I don't approve of. Just listen to Sharon Angle talk and watch many Republicans recoil in horror and you can see how this plays out. It isn't always so clear, but I have to consider the man or woman who claims to represent my party, not just the party endorsement. I may agree with my party, but not with the person they have chosen.

So what I do here is challenge some of the assumptions and talking points of political pundits. I try to go a little deeper than just the political slant and get to the issue underneath. I want us to take a journey together that doesn't stop with just the typical Republican or Democratic slant, but acknowledges the challenges, forces, and weaknesses present that might be governing policy decisions and shaping the view of our political representatives.

Like the pundits, I'm takin the day off. But what I'd like to leave you with is a call to ask questions and listen. As voting comes up in 2010, get critical. Ask the hard questions and engage your opponents. By the time we vote, let's make sure we know the issues, we know what we want done, and we know exactly why are voting and for whom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Pain: Married to a Public School Teacher

I wanted to write briefly about how hard it is to be married to a public school teacher. Particularly in recent months, with all the protests and bitter battles over benefits and state salaries, I thought I'd chime in and really let you see how much of a pain in the ass it is to have a teacher as a wife. It's hard to do my taxes at the end of the year and realize just how much of our income was spent on school supplies and specific tools for student needs that the district couldn't or wouldn't provide. It's equally hard to keep my mouth shut about it because I know she will defend those expenses to her last breath. It's hard to watch her leave every morning at 6:30am and know that if I'm lucky I'll see her at 7pm that night. Once in a while she's out by 4pm, but usually I don't see her until after dark, and there are times – frequently – that I get that call from school saying 'go ahead and eat, I won't be back until after 10.'

Nine Elven Oh-One

On 9/11, Americans remember the tragedy that redefined our understanding of modern conflict. We remember the people who died in the twin towers. We remember the passengers on the planes and the brave men and women who brought down one of them before it hit the Pentagon. We remember the firefighters and first responders and brave citizens of New York City who stepped into all that chaos and death to try to find anyone who had survived and help someone. Anyone. Those who were not close to ground zero wrestled with our shock, our grief, our disbelief and the rising swell of empathy and compassion that drove us to want to contribute, to donate, to even travel if necessary and be a part of the national effort to handle this unprecedented event. As someone who spends much of his time saturated in politics and current events, 9/11 marks another turning point that would have almost as dark implications as the attack, itself. The attacks on the World Trade Center cast the first stone in w

Mosque Anyone?

So let's be clear about the New York Islamic Cultural Center including a mosque being proposed for central New York. 1.The proposed site about 2 blocks away from ground zero. 2.There is at least one Jewish synagogue and one Christian church within that distance. 3.Over 650,000 Muslims live in New York State. 4.Muslims were killed in the 911 attacks. So a foreign radical fringe group of a religion widely practiced in the United States effectively attacks and kills thousands of Americans on US soil in 2001. The emotional impact of this attack cannot be overstated, nor should the grief of those who lost loved ones be underestimated. Now New York Muslims were no more a part of the 911 attacks then New York Christians were a part of the Northern Ireland terrorist bombings of the 80's and 90's. There simply is nothing to suggest that the religion of Islam is to blame for the violence that some of its radical members inflicted on our nation. However there is an argument to be made